|Safety Santa (image), click to enlarge.|
Happy Holidays Clairemont,
Although we have said goodbye to summer, the holiday season started last Thursday with Thanksgiving and retailers have started to show the spirit by putting up lights, plugging in trees, and displaying garland and ornaments. As commercial businesses are regulated by local, state, and Federal safety regulations, it is up to home owners and neighborhoods to take care and pay attention to safety!
The Clairemont Town Council’s Public Safety Awareness Committee would like to remind you to review the following safety concerns…
Christmas at home
- Check power cords for fraying and damage.
- Inspect Home and Tree lights for damage.
- Ensure Christmas Trees are well-watered, moist, and properly maintained.
- Position your tree and gifts a safe distance from heating sources such as a fire place or heater.
- Inspect power outlets prior to use.
- Candles should always be monitored
- Report suspicious persons or situations
- Have a Fire Extinguisher accessible
- Change Smoke detector and Carbon Monoxide detector batteries
Christmas out shopping
- Lock your car and residential doors and ensure your windows are secure.
- Stay aware of your surroundings
- If possible shop BEFORE dark
- Do not leave packages, gifts, or valuables visible in your car.
- Have your keys accessible before heading to your car from a store or from the car to your home.
- Park in well- lit areas
- Verify visitors before inviting them to or into your home
- Avoid using temporary help from strangers or non-contracted labor
- Take valuable into your home
There are many other safety precautions you can take but these few steps can help reduce your exposure to fire, theft, and loss. The PSAC is committed to working with our communities, neighborhood groups, and the San Diego Police Department to raise Safety awareness and Crime prevention.