Happy Holidays Clairemont,
Don’t Mistake a Thief for Santa Clause
The Clairemont Town Council’s Public Safety Awareness Committee in conjunction with San Diego Police Department Northern Division would like to remind you to review the following safety concerns.
Northern Division has increased the number of officers and patrols in the following areas:
- UTC Mall, Balboa Mesa and Clairemont Square shopping Centers, and traffic patrol of high travel streets.
Holiday Safety Tips
The holidays are a time when thieves are frequently on the prowl. Here are some safety tips to help keep your home, your car, your possessions and your family safe during the holiday season.
Staying Safe While Shopping:
- Park in a well-lit area as close to the entrance as possible. Lock your car and take your keys with you.
- Place purchases in the trunk of your car so they are out of sight.
- Always remain aware of your surroundings and visually scan the parking lot for suspicious activities or persons.
- Never leave your purse or purchases unattended.
- Avoid dark and/or isolated areas. If unavoidable, ask security to escort you to your vehicle.
- Have your keys in hand so that you are not searching for them once you reach your car.
- As you approach, check around, under and inside your car, to make sure no one is hiding.
- Enter your car and immediately lock the doors behind you.
Keeping Your Home Safe:
- Avoid displaying gifts where they can be seen from a window or doorway.
- Arrange to have packages delivered to a neighbor if you are not home and avoid leaving packages on your doorsteps or porches.
- Dispose of packaging discreetly. Criminals observe discarded product packaging of enticing items and then target you or your home for their next burglary or theft.
- Always lock your doors and windows, even if you are only gone for a few minutes.
Always remember the Police Department is here to serve and protect you. If at any time you observe suspicious activity, please call SDPD at (619) 531-2000 Emergencies Dial 911
DO NOT BE A VICTIM of CAR BURGULARY
You can prevent vehicle burglaries and vehicle thefts by following these simple precautions:
* Do not let your guard down when parking in secure parking garages. Vehicle burglaries still happen in these areas.
* Do not prop open doors or hold the door open for people to enter your apartment facility. Suspects are not breaking into secure garages. They are relying on you to let them in.
* Use a steering wheel locking device.
* Do not leave ANYTHING in view in your vehicle.
* Never leave your garage gate or door opener in the vehicle or in plain sight.
* Write down the serial numbers of your property or take photos of your property and/or serial #s with description. You can email the photos to yourself for safe keeping.
* Report suspicious activity. Most law enforcement arrests start as a call from a concerned citizen.