Clairemont Town Council Meeting: July 11
July 11th -- because the first Thursday of the month falls on Independence Day (July 4th), we've obviously made the wise decision to hold our monthly meeting a week later. I hope you all enjoyed your extended holiday weekend with family, friends, and fireworks!
However, as a draw to bring you out to our July 11th meeting, we'll have an assortment of pizzas available to munch on. Plus, our guest speaker will be Dan McAllister, our county's elected Treasurer-Tax Collector. Dan's a fantastic speaker if you've never heard his presentation before, and will help answer questions about your tax bill. Come on out, and bring your tax bill if you'd like!
Over these summer months, the CTC board has also wisely decided to spend much of the time working to improve some administrative items on our back end. For example, our Historian, Simone Henriques, is continuing to compile information about our community legacy, and can always use some volunteer help. If you're interested, please contact Simone at Contact@ClairemontOnline.com.
Also, we have a comprehensive (understatement) set of Bylaw Amendments that the Board will be soliciting input on at this next meeting, so that we may have the Council formally adopt at our August meeting. When I say comprehensive -- I mean, specifically 31, separate Bylaw Amendments.
This may seem a little ostentatious, but some of the amendments, if passed, would require additional changes. To cover our bases, we've compiled all of the possible changes separately. For a list of the new Bylaw Amendments, click here. For comparison, our current set of Bylaws can be found on our website here.
Some of the BIG changes we are proposing include:
- Formally adopting our "Founding Date" as September 20, 1954 based on research our Historian has uncovered (which means we've been promoting our 60th anniversary a year early... darn the luck!)
- Expanding the Board of Directors from to 21 members (from the current 15) which elevates the Historian as an Officer position, and adds an additional 5 Director-at-Large positions.
- Setting up structure and guidelines for Council committees.
- Updating our conduct and disciplinary procedures, and
- Re-instituting Council expenditure limits.
If you're unable to make the meeting on Thursday, please be sure to review the changes and offer any opinions or suggestions moving forward before we formally bring this to the August meeting for a vote.
Finally, two other things:
- It's never too late to plan for our 2014 Garden Tour! We're looking for a new Chair to take over the helm from the now-legendary Dana Sortwell. If you're interested, please e-mail GardenTour@ClairemontOnline.
- CTC elections are coming up, and we need a capable Nominating and Elections Committee to help our Secretary, C.J. Shedlock, conduct an awesome election this November. If you're interested, please e-mail Elections@ClairemontOnline.com
Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you at 7:00pm on Thursday, July 11th, in the Cadman Elementary cafeteria!
Working for you, Clairemont!